Thursday 25 September 2008

The first days of the rest of my life...

Stomach looks like its had several rounds with a boxer. I've started getting used to the haparin injections, sometimes I get it just right and feel virtually nothing other times I seem to hit a tender spot which flippin hurts. That's when the bruises start. Oh well, it's worth it for the piece of mind while they try to sort out my INR levels.

I'm still off work at the moment due to being quite uncomfortable in both my leg and across my chest. Although each day is better than the last.

Had my second INR reading yesterday. Started at 1.1, now at 1.5 after several days on both heparin and warfarin. Whilst at the clinic I spotted that the anti-coag nurse had a INR self monitor on her desk. I've done a little research over the past few weeks and have discovered that there are at least two different machines that cost around £400 and allow you to test your own INR levels at home. So when I spotted one on her desk I took the opportunity to ask her about NHS support and for tips on getting hold of one. She gave me the address of a website called anticoagulationeurope. Here I found all sorts of info on anticoagulation, using home machines as well as some interesting testimonials from people who have been using the home testers for months if not years. She also mentioned that she thinks the local PCT does support the use of the machines and will provide test strips under prescription.

It's really motivated me to look into it further. One of things that has been bringing me down was the thought of getting my INR checked at the hospital possibly every week for the rest of my life. Thats quite a big chunk out of your life sat in the anti-coag clinic waiting to give your sample, then waiting to get the results. What I really want to be able to do is self manage under guidance if at all possible.

It seems the most popular machine is manufactured by Roche and is called the CoaguChek System. Click here for more information and details about supplies etc... . Seemingly lots of people have opted to talk about the CoaguChek system online. A quick Google search provides many many links to discussion forums and reports on trials of the system.

p.s. I need to remember to take the pills at a regular time. I haven't missed a dose, but keep forgetting around 6-7ish in the evening and only remembering after the little lad has gone to bed. I guess that is what is vastly different this time to last. We have a kid and one on the way. We had a chat with our son about syringes and medicine and what to do if he finds any lying around the house. I was very pleased to hear him say immediately that he would tell Mum or Dad. Even still, both the syringes and the warfarin are in the highest cupboard in the kitchen.

1 comment:

Lou said...

I too have DVTs. It has been a long road to recovery since I developed them in 2005 as a result of multiple brain surgeries. As you had said, it is extremely painful. For some of us, if we didn't have the will to live life would have been over.
I started with Lovanox injections because of recent surgery. Been on Warferin for 7 years, with a different dose almost every day. I wear 30/40mgh thigh high compression stockings faithfully. For the first time ever I developed a skin ulcer on my ankle. It is very painful. I didn't know of anyone else with clots until I read your post. although my DVT's happened 7 years ago, The root cause happened 34 years ago after a fall from a roof.I truly was alone then. There was no support groups and no internet to get support.My own family didn't know what I was going through, physically and emotionally.