Friday 26 September 2008

INR number 3=1.5

I had my INR measured again today. Still at 1.5! same as it was on Tuesday. So still on the lovely stomach injections for the weekend a higher dose of the old warfarin and back in Monday morning for another reading.

They managed to get my results back to me within the hour today which was good. It took over two hours on Tuesday this week. Still need to look into the self management option. As soon as my INR seems to be stable I think I'll start with the questions and the saving of the £400 for the machine.

I tell you I have never read so many magazines in my life. The anti-coag clinc has loads of them. Some new and some from 8 or 9 years ago. Today I was reading about ex b list celebs in a copy of Hello! magazine from November 2001. That was the year I had my first DVT's.

I also went to see a good friend today who had a knowledge of my DVT history but new nothing of the the past few weeks. It was good to talk over coffee and tell her the issues at hand. Made me feel a little more comfortable about it.

But its a strange process. I don't like having to tell the same story over and over to all people. Its fine when it's the first few people like today, or onto this blog, but I know a week from now when I'm back at work and wanting to get on with life again I'm going to be blighted with people asking if I'm ok and what happened? I know its because they do sincerly care but it would be so much easier to say I broke my leg and was in traction for three weeks. Instead you need to give just that little more detail about what is wrong in the long term, taking the warfarin etc.. at which point some smart alec shouts 'oh you mean rat poison, thats what they give rats you know' as if that helps. I know that's what they use to kill rats, why do you think the amounts in my body have to be monitored so carefully? and really, do you think saying that to someone who has been told they need to take this particular drug for years if not for life is going to make them feel any better? As you can tell I have been through this process before...

I'll stop the rant....

No comments: